Welcome to the 2016-17 school year! Let's all be active and healthy this year.
Flu Vaccine is now available.
Be sure to schedule flu shots with your child's doctor. Additionally, vaccines are available at retail stores including Hannaford, Rite Aid, and Walmart to name a few. There will be no school located vaccine clinics this year.
Quick Link to Saving Smiles of Maine application - return completed form to school.
Return to School Attendance Awareness
DID YOU KNOW.........Missing just 2 days a month means a child misses 10% of the school year.
Too many absences, excused or not, impact student learning.
Students who attend school regularly are more likely to graduate and find good jobs.
School only gets harder when you stay home too much.
Atendance matters! Please don't be absent unless you are truly sick!
Lyme Disease Information www.maine.gov/dhhs/mecdc/
Lyme disease remains the most common tick-borne disease in Maine with more than 1200 cases were reported in 2015. Please check your child daily, especially when they have been doing outdoor activities.
- Lyme disease is caused by the bacteria Borrelia burgdorferi, which is transmitted by an infected deer tick. The tick must be attached for a minimum of 24 hours.
- One of the initial symptoms is erythema migrans, sometimes presenting as a "bulls-eye" rash that appears 3-30 days after transmission. Other early symptoms include fatigue, fever, headache, joint and body aches.
- Later onset symptoms include arthritis, joint swelling, Bell's palsy, encephaliltis and lymphocytic meningitis.
Tick prevention is the easiest way to avoid the disease.
- use caution in tick infested area
- wear protective clothing
- use an EPA approved repellent
- do daily tick checks after any outdoor activity
Healthy Eating and Physical Activity: A message to families
Our program believes that all kids deserve the opportunity to be healthy and successful. Healthy eating and physical activity are crucial for proper development and improve concentration, memory and mood, helping kids become better learners. Our program participates in Let's Go! 5-2-1-0 Out of School, a community program that is helping us make our program a healthier place. We are pleased to share with you that our program supports the 5-2-1-0 Every Day message, which states the following:
5 or more fruits and vegetables
2 hours or less recreational screen time
1 hour or more of physical activity
0 sugary drinks, more water
To further support healthy kids, staff and families, our program follows the five Let's Go! healthy strategies.
1. We limit unhealthy choices for snacks and celebrations and promote healthy choices instead.
2. We limit sugary drinks and provide water instead.
3. We do not reward kids with food.
4. We provide opportunities for kids to get physial activity every day.
5. We do not provide recreational screen time.
These strategies are promoted in our community and help ensure a healthy environment fo rkids throughout the day. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to contact us. If you would like more information about Let's Go! visit www.letsgo.org. Thank you for your support in helping us create a healthier place for our kids to grow!